We are far enough into the New Year that I have heard and read my fair share of New Year’s posts and opinions. I guess I’ll take a moment and share my thoughts.
Often I find myself looking in to the New Year and thinking about what new things I want to accomplish. Resolutions are often about what we want to make different in our lives: loose ten pounds, run a marathon, get a better job, save money, reduce debt, stop smoking, etc. There are a few things I hope to accomplish this year, and the truth is that my bets hope of accomplishing these new things isn’t a magical New Year’s resolution.
I do well to look not so much at what I want to change, but what I am currently doing that is working. Even a momentary reflection on the characteristics of my life that contribute to my success reveals simple habits that, while often difficult to follow, are essential to getting anything done. This year I am beginning with a New Year’s Renew list. I am renewing my commitment to the habits and actions that are a part of my success and then looking at a few things I want to accomplish with these proven, daily habits. The difference is that I am focusing on resolute living rather than living a list of resolutions.
- Each day I will decide to abstain from alcohol and other drugs. I have made this choice daily since July 10, 1999 and it has made all the difference in my life
- Pray each morning for “Knowledge of God’s will for me and the power to carry that out.”
- Respect other peoples (and my) time – be where I have agreed to be when I have agreed to be there. I am not perfect at executing this, but I am committed to the value of it.
- Be mindful of the Rotary Four-Way Test – Of The Things We Say and Do
- Is it the Truth?
- Is it fair to all concerned?
- Will it build good will and better friendships?
- Is it beneficial to all concerned?
- Listen to others and seek to understand their point of view.
- Pay my bills on time.
- Exercise multiple times each week.
- Keep my weight between 145-155lbs.
- Take the medications prescribed by my doctor as prescribed.
- Get a full night’s sleep (6-8 hrs) most nights.
- Read books for fun.
- Read books for education.
- Maintain a blog.
- Save some money each month.
- Tell jokes (no matter how lame).
- Read the comics.
- Volunteer to help others in some way every month.
- Work the steps of the simple program that I have chosen to help me better live my life.
- Never take the advice of someone more messed up than I am.
- Write about the creative ideas and images that move me.
- Work faithfully and dependably for my income.
- Take a vacation with my wife.
Resolutions for 2009
- Attend a writing workshop/class.
- Speak publicly ten times.
- Submit something written for publication.
- Hike the Alum Cave Trail.
- Purchase a new Audio/Video system for the den.
I am sure there is more, but this is what I have for here, for now…